Your pet is an important member of your family. They deserve to be treated kindly and with loving care. Most pet owners know to have their pets examined on a yearly basis by a vet, but do you know when a situation necessitates a trip to a York animal hospital? There are certain symptoms that cats and dogs may exhibit that require emergency assistance.
Is your pet having difficulty catching their breath? Sometimes cats and dogs can have trouble breathing after exerting themselves just like humans. For instance, if you and your dog went on a run together he may need a little time to catch his breath and calm down. Cats that have been busy playing may need time to recover, too. However, there are other times when it becomes fairly obvious that something is not right with your pet. Dogs and cats that are wheezing or cannot breathe without difficulty could be experiencing a number of problems from choking to heart conditions. A trip to the animal hospital will help you get to the bottom of the problem right away.
This next issue may seem humorous, but it can pose a very serious problem. If your dog or cat is having trouble passing their bowels and a string appears to be dangling from their backside, it is important that you get your pet to the animal hospital right away. More than likely your cat or dog swallowed something they shouldn’t have and their stomach wasn’t able to digest it. Examples could be yarn that a cat was playing with or the red string from a slice of bologna that you may have fed your dog. Cutting or pulling the string is not something that you should do because it could be entwined in their intestines. Does it sound gross? It is, but it is serious and should be addressed by a veterinarian.
Your Pet Ingested Poison
This happens more often that pet owners may like to admit, especially during the times of the year when you spray for bugs. Many products on the market that may be safe for humans can still pose a threat to pets. For this reason, it is best to let the professionals spray for bugs in your home because they know what products are safe for your pets. If you believe your pet accidentally ingested poison do not try to cure them on your own. Giving them milk or other medicines used by humans to counteract the effects of poison can do more harm than good. Instead, gather up your pet and head to your local pet emergency room.
Sometimes pet owners second guess whether a trip to a York animal hospital is necessary. The staff at these hospitals would never laugh at you or turn you away if you overreacted. They want you to bring your pet to them if you are fearful for their well-being. Most animal hospitals are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week and are prepared to treat all pet emergencies.